Monday, July 4, 2011

Easy Breezy Maxi Dress



My daughter wanted a new long dress, and I had just the idea to make a cute maxi dress in record time. A while back, I had gone to Hobby Lobby and bought some fabric on clearance that already had smocking. I also purchased some gingam purple and white ribbon, and I already had purple fabric that I had used to make a stocking last Christmas.



Next, I took the purple fabric and sewed it to the bottom of the dress fabric. folded little pleats about a half inch apart (I just eye-balled it, it is just a fun little summer dress), and pinned it down with straight pins. I then sewed it down to make a ruffle.



I then pinned and sewed the ribbon along the dress and ruffle seam.



I then used my daughter as a model to decide where the ribbon straps should go. I basicall eye-balled it and double the length of the ribbon, so it would tie into a nice bow. I then pinned and cut the ribbon in half and sewed it down.



I then pinned and hemmed the bottom of the dress so that it went to my daughter's ankles - again, I just eye-balled it. And, finally, Tah-Dah! The finished product. For under $10, in about an hour, with no pattern and a very happy daughter, I was pretty proud of the dress I was able to make.

No comments:

Post a Comment