My son is lactose intolerant, so I've been trying a few recipes using lactaid instead of milk or cream. Here is one that turned out really yummy - Lactaid Banana Cream Pie!
1 9-inch pie shells, baked
3 cups Lactaid
3/4 cup white sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon salt 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
2 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
3 bananas Directions
Have baked 9-inch pie shell ready (I used a store bought and cooked it at 400 degrees for 10 minutes.
4 egg whites
6 tablespoons white sugar
1. In a large saucepan, scald the Lactaid.
2. In another saucepan, combine the sugar, flour and salt; gradually stir in the scalded Lactaid.
3. Over medium heat, stirring constantly, cook until thickened.
4. Cover and, stirring occasionally, cook for two minutes longer.
5. In a small bowl, have the 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten, ready; stir a small amount of the hot mixture into beaten yolks; when thoroughly combined, stir yolks into hot mixture.
6. Cook for one minute longer, stirring constantly.
7. Remove from heat and blend in the butter and vanilla.
8. Let sit until lukewarm.
9. When ready to pour, slice bananas and scatter in pie shell; pour warm mixture over bananas.
10. For meringue -In a large glass or metal bowl, whip egg whites until foamy. Add sugar gradually, and continue to whip until stiff peaks form. Spread meringue over pie, sealing the edges at the crust. Like this:
11. Bake in preheated oven (350 degrees) for 10 minutes, or until meringue is golden brown
Checking in with Anthropologie’s new arrivals…
9 hours ago