Sunday, March 14, 2010

Somewhere Over the Rainbow . . .

This week has been so wonderful! Even though I have had to work this week, the anticipation of being off and taking the kids to visit my best friend and then my parents over Spring Break has kept a smile on my face. This week on my Sunday is for Family blog, I'd like to share an old family story, it's not about my beloved kiddos this week, but it's an oldie but goodie in my family.

This story is about my Mom and my aunt when they were little girls, and my Papa (their daddy), who was one of the most amazing men who ever lived! He had two daughters and three granddaughters and LOVED being surrounded by all "HIS girls" (he actually ended up having FIVE great-granddaughters as well (and finally, my son brought up the tail end), but sadly, he passed before he was able to meet them). He loved HIS girls so much and would do anything for them, even if it was not perhaps the best idea . . .

Once a LONG LONG time ago when my Mom was a little girl (just joking, mom), my Papa took her and my aunt to the zoo. There were some baby "ducks" standing around, and the girls told my Papa that they wanted some ducks for pets! (OK so this is the bad judgement part) My Papa reached down, gathered 2 of the ducks, and they left the zoo. As days went by and the ducks grew up, GUESS WHAT?? They were not ducks at all! They were big, mean geese! Everytime the girls would go outside, these geese would attack them, and when they weren't busy biting the girls' bottoms, they were honking and making all kinds of ruckus. (Karma does have a way to come back and bite you in the butt, doesn't it? LITERALLY in this case). The story didn't end well for the geese, but for some reason, when I remember this story, it reminds me of the free and loving spirit that my Papa radiated. He left his handprint on so many hearts and touched so many lives. I feel so BLESSED that I was able to have him in my life, because the love he gave me is what I truly hope to pass down to my babies.

My Papa and Mom

Anyway, I hope that story makes you smile, and that your smile lasts all week long!

I have one final thing to share with you on this Sunday! Look at this BEAUTIFUL rainbow that the Lord blessed us with this week! And, my entire family was able to stand outside and see it TOGETHER!


“May flowers always line your path and sunshine light your day. May songbirds serenade you every step along the way. May a rainbow run beside you in a sky that's always blue. And may happiness fill your heart each day your whole life through.”
~Irish Blessings quotes

PS. Because, I will be traveling, I may not be able to post everyday, but I will TRY!!

No comments:

Post a Comment