Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Chalk it up

A while back, I decided to make a little craft table for my kiddos. I purchased an inexpensive wooden table and chair set from Micheals. After I assembled it, I painted the chairs and the bottom of the table with colors that I had left over from painting the kids' rooms. For the top of the table, I decided to use chalk board paint in the middle and then add a border using alphabet decals. I looked FOREVER for the decals, because I wanted each letter to have something that started with that letter included (for instance, I wanted the letter 'A' to also have an apple or alligator with it). I was able to find the decals on clearance at Lillian Vernon, and they were exactly what I had wanted. That made me super happy:) I also included my kid's names on their chairs with some stickers and then polyurethaned everything - well, except the chalkboard part. I was pretty happy with the way it turned out, and my kids use it all the time!


I still have some chalkboard paint left over and wanted to find some other fun things to use it for, so . . .

I found some really great ideas at Two Hearts Together. And, I REALLY LOVE the flower pots done at Bedzine! I can't wait to make these, because I love growing herbs in my kitchen and have tons of little pots! Check out these cuties!

I'm sure you've seen these adorable coasters from Me and My Bucket! I think I will try to tackle them too, just because they are too darn cute not to!


I also love the idea of using Chalkboard contact paper (I found it for only $6.99 a roll at Resources for Reading) to make wall decals! Check out this cute idea from Little Birdie Secrets!


And, did you know they make Chalkboard Cloth???? It's about $12/yd. Wouldn't it be cute to make a purse and add a little of this fabric on a front pocket? Then you could keep your to-do list very close to you all day long! Oh my gosh, my brain is now in overdrive . . . I love it:)

Oh, and PS, you know Martha has some great chalkboard paint uses, and she takes it a step further and teaches you how to make chalkboard paint in different colors!






















































Today I'm linked up to:


Life in the Pitts

5 comments:

  1. LOVE LOVE LOVE the table!!! Thanks for joining me for my first party and for mentioning my coasters on your FABULOUS blog!!

    Jesisca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm a big fan of your blog, thanks for hosting the party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I took my kitchen table and converted it into a chalk table for the girls' room when I got a new one. It's their favorite thing, EVER! Thanks for posting these pictures.. I never got around to posting mine lol.

    Sadie@
    nelliebugs-swaps.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for sharing!!! I love your table. I could just die over the flower pots too!! What a great gift idea!!

    Chalkboard cloth?? I'm dying to see what you come up with!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a good idea. I can just picture little kids scribbling away on it. And who knew there was chalkboard cloth??

    Thank you for linking up to A Little Craft Therapy with Life in the Pitts.

    ReplyDelete